16 March 2008

Love/Hate

Something I Love:

One of my sisters teaches Grade One and always has cute stories to tell about 'her' kids. Recently one of the six year olds came up to her and said 'Mrs. D., remember how I was going to bring in my bird for show and tell? Well, my dog ate my bird so I'll bring my dog in instead." And then she happily walked away, end of story.

Something I Hate:

I always thought that when you were upset you would say that you felt it in the 'pit of your stomach' as in deeply, to the bottom. Lately though I'm always hearing people say 'I was so upset I had a PIT in my stomach!' Like...a peach pit or what? I used to be convinced that my way was right but a lot of people say it the other way. A lot of people are painfully dumb though. What do you-uns think?

Oh, and as an addendum to the lovely southerners I now know: 1) Its 'Ill-i-noy' okay? Not 'Ill-i-noise'. Also, a bed, dresser and two nightstands is a bedroom suite - that's 'sweet' not 'suit'. And finally, my new favorite that is so awesome I won't even stand on my soapbox and correct you: sure, your dresser can be called a 'chesterdrawers' if you want it to.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I definitely say "in the pit of my stomach"

Reba

Anonymous said...

Yeah, here too. I also like 'chesterdrawers' :)

Anonymous said...

I tell you what, where I work we sell bedroom furniture, and I even hear the owner refer to bedroom suits. And Merrriman-Webster lists both pronunciations. So nyah. :)

Of course, it still drives me crazy to hear it

Anonymous said...

ooh, ooh, Can I play this game?
Okay, I am a university educated individual. I was over 30 years old before I found out that there was any other words for a Chiffinier (shif-on-neer for we English speaking people.) {A vertical chest of drawers.}

I'll just go sit on my chesterfield so I can tie my Sorels, pull on my toque, and be off now!
Barb

the girl said...

Reminds me when I worked for a certain catalogue company...

The color bourdeaux was often "boar-dux" and plaid was often "played"...and chemise got turned in to "kemmiss"...and I was always amazed at the variations of lingerie...

That said..."chest of drawers" usually comes out of my mouth as "chesterdrawers" :)

Hee! Someone say armoire!!

Chickenbells said...

Nope...pit of my stomach is right...why would you have a pit IN your stomach?

This so reminded me of Jeff Foxworthy and his dictionary words he's always sharing on his comedy tours!!

Anonymous said...

Reading a few more of these has reminded me of my own embarrassing moment. Until I was 20 years old I thought it was a Haida Bed....you know like a Navajo word or something? Then one day the light went on and I was like "ohhhhhhhhh Hide-a-Bed". DUH :P

Reba

Jennifer Lavin said...

Awesome, I enjoyed all of those a lot! I'm still giggling about some of them...